Monday, May 29, 2017

Nobody will steal it.


One of the most asked questions I get from younger writers or wannabe writers who think that they have to protect their great stories from people who are waiting to steal them. I'm not sure where this started but to be honest, chances are pretty much on your side that nobody's gonna steal it.

Take me. I've been writing almost 30 years and have had someone never steal my ideas. I do register my scripts, but that only costs $10 for WGA and I think $20 for others. I even have some scripts that aren't registered.

How's that for bold??

My idea about this is this; When you get a really great idea that is sure to be a hit, you must understand this:

1. Someone else has the same idea. There's only so many stories.
2. Someone else is considering writing an idea similar to yours.
3. Someone has finished a script remarkably like yours.
4. Someone has sold a script remarkably like yours.
5 And someone has sold their script like yours and it being shot as I talk.

As you know I have around 35 or so screenplays I feel that the WGA registration is just fine. It expires eventually but it still sort of keeps you safe.

There are unique screenplays but eventually they all fall into one or another type of story. 

Romeo and Juliet is made almost every year if you look around. 

And besides, once you sell a script to a studio or anyone, they're going to buy off your screenplay register anyway.

Nobody's told you that, right? 

Well, almost all countries let the authors keep their registered script but the only ones who demand your registered scripts for themselves.

Why?

As how health care in America works.

Because. 

So the American producers want ALL the rights.

Canada does the right thing, so do the European countries. I get around $1500 in residuals from foreign countries.

But not America. The producers get it.

So when you think of it, you really do get something stolen. And it's all legal.


More this week - Wednesday -

No comments:

Post a Comment