Monday, January 22, 2018

A new way to get a script read



Or at least a shot at it. 

With a lot of information and hope for the script you have sent to "them". Them is a whole new sort of way to get your script glance by a production company. All it costs is $15.

Sounds good. But there are catches.

Take one called Virtual Pitch Fest, wherein you can get your script read, maybe. It works like this, you pay $15 to send your "pitch". Well, not really. I know someone who pitched a hundred scripts over a year and got a few people who liked it. But nothing happened.

I really don't know if anyone ever gets read, probably some but a very small group. Still it is a way to get a script at least almost seen. The thing is that you don't really get much to say. All you get to send them is a title, a logline (story line) and a "query", which is a few sentences or so that explains your script.

It sounds great again, but mostly from what I hear, very few if any get their script to someone.

So that's one way. At least it reaches someone. I think you can try it for $15, which at least you can say you sent a "script" to someone.

But I think the oldest way is still the best. Mostly that it helps if you have other writers to exchange battle stories. As I said in a past blog, it's best to have a partner, either with you in town or wherever you can find a partner. Always try to have that, it's something to keep you going when you have someone else who wants the same thing.

There are several ways to get some attention;

First you can send $15 to Virtual Pitch Fest and see where it goes; then you can try to contact production companies and maybe get responses or you can write or call or email or text or FB or any other place where you can show your script. Free.

And I repeat that having a partner is so important, someone to cry on your shoulders when you need it.

The best way, almost impossible for someone from outside, is having friends who have friends and who can share. Virtual also has a pitch for agents, which is not bad, but not really helpful either.

The weakness to Virtual is this; you pay $15 and get someone to read your logline. In the "old days", I could get my agent to read my script then send it around town until a company says yes. Then you would get a meeting in which they like you or not. I had a few companies who didn't like my script but wanted to write something for them. 

You can always contact a company by searching for those companies who accept material that might be interested. There's a lot of lists online to find them.

That's what's missing in Virtual, you get only a one-line read from a reader and that's it. You can also send scripts to Amazon, Netflix, and other streamers. There's also Blacklist, where you can post your script for a few bucks and get it read (for around $50), I've had a script there for a year and got good comments which helps.

I still go for the buddy system and also a few directors and producers who read my stuff, but then they have to look for producers to put the money up. 

Stick with the buddy, even if you're not in LA. And ultimately post something like "Selling Screenplays" and there's enough information there for a year or so.



Yeah, I know, pushing my screenwriting book, based on my UCLA on-line courses. I'm not even telling you where to find it. Well, maybe. Besides there are about 50 or 60 books on screenwriting. 

Best book is the old standard - The Art of Dramatic Writing
Syd Field - Screenplay is also old, the first book on how to write screenplays
The Screen Trade - is a good study from a great screenwriter.
How to Make a Good Script Great - I still use it.

There, even. I like mine too. Very different in that I break apart a screenplay from after the film I wrote was made and I divide it into the 3 main parts. And a lot of information about the screenplay I wrote how and why and why not.

So there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment