Monday, March 13, 2017

Sorry Jim... maybe.


Well, my shot at a Lifetime movie from producer "A" looks dead.

I wrote a few ideas into half pages and got reasonable comments but at the last ideas, no answers were returned. Now maybe they lost my ideas or passed them on to someone else.

This isn't really that bad as I can send my ideas around to other producers, as far as I know, probably a dozen more who want to do Lifetime movies for incredibly cheap costs. I've heard some of them are made for $350,000. 

Not WGA wages.

I've even heard a script can be sold for $1500. 

Really.

So where am I?

I'm not really sure if I'm out, but at any rate I can't wait to see my last ideas read. But that's a whole other story. This goes back to 2008 where those of us who made TV movies to anywhere from $3 million up to $8-10 million. 

Those were the days.

But it all crashed in 2008 when Survivor appeared a few years before and showed that networks could make TV shows for far less cost than having to get actors who eventually become very expensive. 

And writers got around $38,000 or so in those hefty days. Even more if they were showrunners.

All of this was thrown into the garbage and we even had two celebrations at the Roosevelt Hotel on Hollywood Blvd and where the first Academy Awards occured.

But this time it was known as "the death of the TV movie". 

But thanks to Hallmark and Lifetime.

My last TV movie (to date) was in 2010 and to Hallmark and since then a lot of options from producers who were also trying to get money for anything. 

That "anything" turned out to be digital products and where film finally died (except to Martin Scorcese and a few others). Digital production was and is faster and for that period from 2008 up to 2010 the only TV movies came from Hallmark and Lifetime.

BTW my first script sale was to Lifetime in 1989. It was made in a rush in two weeks, shot in Toronto for scale WGC rates, around $28,000 or so.

But then came Netflix.

But that's a whole other story.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment