Friday, March 29, 2019











What to wear?

Yes. I even have suggestions as to what to wear as you are judged almost as much as to how to look as what you have to say.

Those people want to decide if they want to work with you for the next two to six months or more. And like it or not they will make decisions partially based on what you look like.

Now you know how actors feel.

Writers, in my experiences, tend to be quite normal, some look eclectic and artistic but most of us are normal, t-shirts, levi's, maybe cargo pants. I remember this when I joined WGA and we had almost a thousand writers at the Universal Hotel.

I looked around the huge convention room and realized many of them looked like me. Mostly white guys in jeans, gray or graying hair, plaid shirts and running shows. And most of them are white.

I always remember my TV experiences where I wrote and produced commercials. I would go out with an ad salesman and they would always refer to us as "those artistic types." Executives expect you to look "different"and that comes down to a lot of different things.

 I have noticed three types of clothing; the "everything is black with tattoos, the khaki button down and loafers crowd like me and then the cowboy boots and jeans types.

There might be an anomaly here in those who prefer sports jackets and slacks but they are very rare. The most richest ones.

I find that many women writers are a hybrid of the "everything is black" or Annie Hall;  it's very rare to see dresses. Not a comment, just an observation.

And of course, levi's for both.





No comments:

Post a Comment